Perfect for the holidays, wow your family with some Sticky Date Pudding! A delicious and sweet cake paired with a butterscotch topping is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser! Give it a try, we’re sure you’ll enjoy!
Sticky Date Pudding
- 8 ounces chopped pitted dried dates
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp golden syrup, or substitute dark corn syrup
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Add the dates and water to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for only a couple of minutes. Let stand for a few minutes while preparing the rest of the batter.
- Cream together the butter brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the molasses and golden syrup and beat well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in three equal portions mixing until smooth after each addition.
- Puree the date mixture in a food processor or blender before mixing in the baking soda.
- Add this hot mixture immediately to the batter and mix until smooth.
- Pour batter into well greased and floured muffin tins and bake for about 18 – 20 minutes at 350 degrees F until the center is just firm.
- Serve warm with Toffee Sauce.
Sticky Date Pudding Sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60g butter
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pierce pudding all over with a skewer. Pour 1/2 cup of warm sauce over warm pudding. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges. Serve with remaining sauce.