Food and the kitchen is a big priority for us, as it is a big part of the warm hospitality that we want everyone to experience when they are at Camp Kintail. Our chefs and kitchen staff work hard to provide lots of delicious, nutritious and safe food that everyone will like. It is common for us to receive e-mails following stays at Camp Kintail asking for recipes, and we are happy to provide those for you. Below is information about our food services and kitchen, and about our amazing food.
For day trips and overnight trips or multiple day trips you can choose the menu items you would like to have or you can leave the decision to the Camp Kintail Chef and Kitchen staff. Whatever you decide, the food will be nutritious, tasty and plentiful!
Our kitchen and food procedures and options include:
- Meals are served family style to the table or by buffet. There is always lots for seconds.
- There is a vegetarian option prepared at every meal, as requested.
- There is fresh fruit available on the kitchen counter at all times, for a snack or during a meal.
- All special diets and allergies are accommodated with individual meal options prepared as needed.
- We do allow people to bring food for the kitchen to prepare if they want a certain brand or exact type of food prepared, ie a specific brand of gluten free pasta.
- Camp Kintail’s kitchen is nut aware and we do not prepare any food with peanuts or nut products. We ask that our guests not bring any nut products on to the camp’s property.
- There is cold water served to the table at every meal. Milk is served at breakfast and dinner.
- There is a juice machine that contains real juice options of orange, apple, cranberry, peach and grape juices, and flavor drink options of lemonade and iced tea.
- The chef prepares a menu that is based on your requests, and approved by you. We can accommodate almost any menu and food requests.
- We try to use as much local product as possible, and will often suggest menu items that are in season. For example, cakes with fresh strawberries in June or fresh apple and pumpkin pie in the fall.
- There is a dessert served at lunch and dinner.
- Camp Kintail purchases good quality food, not the cheapest. As a not for profit camp, our goal is to provide a high quality nutritious food experience. For example, we only serve chicken fingers, nuggets or chicken burgers that are 100% white meat.
- Camp Kintail tries to purchase local meat and produce when possible. All of our products come from farms and suppliers that are properly inspected and certified. We love when we can get local berries, or tomatoes, or meat, since we are surrounded by wonderful farms.
- We work towards purchasing food that is fair traded. Our coffee is organic and fairly traded.
- Camp Kintail exceeds the health department standards and has 3 inspections from the Health Inspector each year. We keep a daily log of fridge and freezer temperatures, and the kitchen is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected daily. All food is properly stored in sealed containers, and labeled and dated.
Most Common and Popular Food Options
Some of our most popular food options are listed below but if there is something that your group would really like to have please feel free to get in touch. We are always interested in trying something new!
Breakfast (oatmeal, cold cereal & toast always available)
- French Toast and sausages
- Waffles and Canadian Bacon
- Pancakes and Sausage
- Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Hashbrowns
- Egg McMuffins & Hashbrowns
- Chicken on Pita with Greek Salad & Taziki/hummous
- Tacos or Fajitas
- Chicken Fingers/Nuggets and Fries
- Sandwiches (pitas, subs, etc) & Pasta Salad
- Hotdogs & Baked Beans
- Chili & corn bread
- Quesadillas & Garden Salad
- Grilled cheese & Soup
- Mac and cheese with Salad & Garlic Bread
- Sloppy Joes with veggie sticks & Dip
- Back Bacon on a Bun & Coleslaw
- Pulled Pork on a bun
- Perogies & Oktoberfest Sausage
- Fish Sticks & Fries
- Pizza & Salad
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Hamburgers & Chips
- Chicken Burgers & Fries
- Lasagna with Caesar Salad & Garlic Bread
- Spaghetti with Caesar Salad & Garlic Bread
- Fettucini with Caesar Salad & Garlic Bread
- Stirfry (with rice, chicken Balls and Egg rolls)
- Perogies and Sausages with Garden Salad
- Chicken Legs & Rice & Hot Vegetable
- BBQ Pork Chops & Potato & Hot Vegetable
- Curry, Samosas, Naan Bread & Rice
- Greek Chicken, Pita, Hummous, Greek Salad, Taziki
- Meatloaf, Mashed Potato & Hot Vegetable
*all side dished suggested with each meal can be substituted
*there is always bread, butter, jam & soy butter available for a sandwich as an option at a meal time
*dinner comes with a dessert, fresh fruit is available at all times
*there is a vegetarian or gluten free option prepared at each meal time if required, other dietary needs can be accommodated.
*meals are served family style, there is always lots of hot, nutritious & very tasty food for every student