Good food is a priority for us, as we want all of our campers to have lots of energy and nutrition for their busy days. It is also a big part of the warm Christian hospitality that we want everyone to experience when they are at Camp Kintail. Our chefs and kitchen staff work hard to provide lots of delicious, nutritious,safe, and child-friendly food that everyone will like. We strive to achieve our goal that everyone is so well nourished each day that children will report that the food was amazing to their parents. It is common for us to receive e-mails following camp asking for recipes or how we prepared something that a child ate at camp but will not eat at home.
Our kitchen and food procedures and options include:
- Meals are served family style to the table. There is always lots for seconds.
- There is a vegetarian option prepared at every meal.
- There is always soy butter and jam with bread as an option at every meal.
- There is fresh fruit available on the kitchen counter at all times, for a snack or a meal.
- All special diets and allergies are accommodated with individual meal options prepared as needed. We do recommend parents send food for the kitchen to prepare if they want a certain brand or exact type of food prepared, ie a specific brand of gluten free pasta.
- Camp Kintail’s kitchen is “nut-aware.” Camp Kintail does not prepare or serve any meals with peanuts or nuts, but due to the large volume of guests on our site, we can not guarantee a peanut free site.
- There is cold water served to the table at every meal. Milk is served at breakfast and dinner.
- There is a juice machine that contains real juice options of orange, apple, cranberry and grape juices, and drink options of peach, lemonade and iced tea.
- The Kitchen Manager prepares a menu that is reviewed with the Co-Executive Director. Camp Kintail follows Canada’s Food Guide, to provide a balanced diet with fruit and vegetable and dairy options.
- Some popular food items are prepared once every 2 weeks, and some other options are prepared only once or twice during a summer. The menu choices vary depending on the age of the campers each week, and sometimes for seasonal, local produce.
- There is a dessert served at both lunch and dinner, often fruit for one dessert and then something sweet for the other dessert.
- Camp Kintail purchases good quality food, not the cheapest. As a not for profit camp, our goal is to provide a high quality nutritious food experience. For example, we only serve chicken fingers, nuggets or chicken burgers that are 100% white meat.
- Camp Kintail tries to purchase local meat and produce when possible. All of our products come from farms and suppliers that are properly inspected and certified. We love when we can get local berries, or tomatoes, or meat, since we are surrounded by wonderful farms.
- We are working to purchase food that is fair traded. For example, our coffee is organic and fairly traded.
- Camp Kintail exceeds the health department standards and has three inspections from the Health Inspector each summer. We keep a daily log of fridge and freezer temperatures, and the kitchen is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected daily. All food is properly stored in sealed containers, and labeled and dated.
We welcome any questions about our food products and procedures. We have some parents that like to tour the kitchen or talk to the cook when they drop their child off for a week. We welcome this as we love to show off the hard work of the kitchen staff and our facilities. We are happy to send you a copy of the menu for the week your child will be at camp, and this can be especially helpful if you have a child with allergies or a child who is a ‘selective’ eater.
Most Common and Popular Food Options
- pancakes and sausage
- scrambled eggs, toast & bacon
- french toast & sausage
- egg mcmuffins with hashbrown patties
- breakfast bake (quiche like) with home fries
- Belgian waffles with strawberry sauce and whip cream
- scrambled eggs with wraps, ham, onion and red pepper sauté, salsa & cheese
- fresh muffins, cinnamon buns, tea biscuits, croissants yogurt, granola and hard boiled eggs are commonly served
*there is oatmeal porridge prepared and cold cereal available at all breakfasts
*milk is served at all breakfasts
- perogies and Oktoberfest sausages with garden salad
- meat tacos with hard and soft shells with Mexican rice and tortilla chips
- home-made soup and sub sandwiches with 3 meat options
- chicken quesadilla with sweet potato fries and garden salad
- soup and grilled cheese sandwiches with veggie tray
- home-made macaroni and cheddar cheese with salad and garlic toast
- pulled pork on a bun with baked beans and cole slaw
- chicken Caesar salad with soup, pita wedges & hummous
- bbq hamburgers with pasta salad, chips, veggies and dip
- wraps with greek chicken and greek salad, with taziki and hummous
- deluxe nachos with onion rings, garden salad & veggie tray
- enchilada casserole with nachos/salsa/guacamole & garden salad
- chili with salad and garlic toast
- back bacon on a bun, beans in tomato sauce, potato salad and green salad
- stir fry with salad and bread
- chicken wings & poutine with veggie tray & dip
- sloppy joe, corn & buns
- assorted cold cuts & sub buns, soup or chips, veggie tray
- pitas with gyro meat, taziki, salad and/or soup
*soup options commonly include chicken noodle, vegetable, beef, tomato, cream of cauliflower, roasted red pepper bisque, loaded baked potato, asiago cheese bisque
- chicken burgers with French fries and veggie tray with dip
- pizza casserole with Caesar salad and garlic bread
- beef stew with potatoes and hot veggie and buns
- pasta with olive oil and herbs with salad and buns
- special recipe meat loaf with mashed potatoes, corn and bread
- chicken nuggets with French fries and veggies with dip
- spaghetti & meatballs with Caesar salad and garlic toast
- salmon with rice and hot veggie and rolls
- fettucine al fredo with Caesar salad and garlic toast
- chicken curry with garden or spinach salad, naan bread & samosas
- Greek seasoned chicken breast with potatoes or rice, taziki, greek salad, & pita with hummous
- bbq pork chops with oven roasted potatoes, baked beans, hot carrots and assorted rolls
- fish and chips, peas, and assorted rolls
- Kintail pizzas, variety, with salad and garlic strips
- oven baked ham, scalloped potatoes, peas and buns
- fried rice, spring rolls, chicken balls, chow mein noodles, garden salad
- chicken stew with tea biscuits & garden salad
- chicken pot pie with garden salad and bread/rolls
- fresh fruit (commonly bananas, apples, pears, grapes, watermelon or oranges)
- cake with icing
- ice cream, cone or bowl, many flavours to choose from
- fresh cookies, many kinds made
- ice cream sandwich
- cupcakes with icing
- canned fruit (commonly peaches, fruit cocktail or pears)
- apple sauce
- grasshopper pie (often on Fridays)
- homemade cookies
- goldfish crackers
- rice krispie squares
- fresh fruit
- marshmallows roasted at campfire
- bits & bites
- trail mix
- crackers and cheese